Tuesday, December 11, 2012

The Kansas Space Program

This series was inspired by a trip to the Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral, Florida in August 2010.  While my family and I were getting a tour of the campus, we looked out the window on the tour bus and saw a funnel cloud coming out of the sky.  Seeing the funnel cloud was ironic, because my family and I are from Kansas, which is in the middle of tornado alley.  This ironic event is still talked about in my family two years later, and the event also helped create interest of what would happen if the space center was placed in a Kansas environment.  By using certain elements of the space center, I placed them in a Kansas setting. Each piece plays off of the irony of one experience in Florida.

Tornado Lift-Off
Materials: Water Soluble Oil
24"x30"
November 2012

Sunflower Exploration
Materials: Water Soluble Oil
24"x30"
December 2012

Windmill
Materials: Water Soluble Oil
24"x30"
December 2012

Shuttle Duster
Materials: Water Soluble Oil
24"x30"
December 2012




1 comment:

  1. I've always wondered if water soluble oil looked similar to regular oil, and my answer seems to be a very emphatic YES!

    Interesting subject matter in your series, I Like how you've blended in the tech with supremely low-tech.
    Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete